Thursday, May 1, 2014

Folksonomy

I created, piecemeal, a folksonomy over on CiteULike for this class. Probably the most helpful thing I did for myself was create a "research" tag for primary research articles, so I could keep track of how many I'd read (and, by extension, how many review articles I'd read). I tried to create a kind of knowledge web by using primarily small tags for big ideas-- breaking down main concepts into a handful of tags, which might apply to other readings over time. So I might click "economy" if I want to see the entire thread of my readings about the knowledge economy, or "social_media" if I wanted to expand on that idea, etc. I'd planned to stop creating new tags at a certain point, so all tags could theoretically connect one reading to others concerning that topic, but that didn't end up panning out-- I needed to include an element of longer tags which tried to get at the central difference of this reading from the others, which meant I was still making new tags on the very last day of term. In that way, my tags functioned as both a note-taking system and the cataloging system I'd intended.

1 comment:

  1. I also used the tags but still never figured out how to really use them effectively. It was convenient in the sense that I could see which article were research, historical, theoretical and so on but I know that it could be used in a much better and efficient way.

    ReplyDelete